Friday, November 20, 2009

And then they did a hula...

There are days when I start to wonder what the hell I’ve gotten myself into. What sort of insane individual decides to just up and move not just across the country, but halfway across the Pacific Ocean. I start to worry that I’ve made a terrible decision and stress over the fact that I can’t seem to find a decent job (ok, so that’s largely due to the economy, but either way this isn’t the best place to start a career in business, especially marketing). One more than one occasion I’ve had to fight off the urge to call my mom in tears crying that I just want to go home. I want my family back, I want my baby back (Tora, my cat), I want everything that was so familiar. But, by some miracle, every time I get close to having a complete emotional breakdown, something or someone steps in to remind me why I’m here. Today was one of those days. Earlier this week it finally hit me; this will be the first time I’ve ever not spent Christmas or Christmas Eve with my mom. I’ve been alone on Christmas day before, but never for the entire holiday. It’s made for a rough week.

This morning a customer came into the store talking about what a beautiful island this is and how incredible blessed I am to live here. We talked about it a bit and I completely agreed with her, but as the day dragged on, that conversation faded into the background. Later at work we talked about having a pot luck Thanksgiving for those of us stuck working on Thursday. It sent me right back to my melancholy mood, thinking about being alone on holidays. As I walked my bike along the sidewalk on my way home from work, I heard some drums playing. Then, over the heads of people crowded around, I saw elaborate headpieces dancing around. Curiosity got the best of me and I stopped to check it out. One of the dance troupes was putting on a show for tourists. Drums beating, traditional Hawaiian chanting, and beautiful hula dancing. The women moved so gracefully. Their bodies swayed and flowed with the music as they told a story with their hands and faces. I watched them dance, and I watched the crowd awe at their talent. The men danced fiercely, like warriors, lunging at random tourists sitting in the crowd. It was fun to watch them jump as they made their playful attacks on the crowd.

I realized I was smiling. Where else in the world can you leave work and stumble upon a hula? How lucky am I! I’m completely surrounded by a beautiful culture and amazing people. There is such a rich heritage here, a story for everything. And here I am. I have the opportunity to experience so much, to learn, to play, to just observe and enjoy. How dare I forget the motto I adopted when I first wanted to move here. ‘A bad day in Hawaii is better than a good day anywhere else.’ Ok, so there are some exceptions, but it’s a good mentality. So consider this my apology to the universe and everyone in it. I’m sorry I ever take what I have for granted. I’m sorry I forget how amazing my situation in life is. Tomorrow, I will wake up and think ‘Wow. This is a dream, and this is my life.’
And to think, such a terrible mood and a crummy week fixed by a simple hula. Imagine if the whole world had a lu’au.

No comments:

Post a Comment